2010-11-03

Gnome: Locale Tweaks

What I really hate in Gnome is Calendar Applet not having an option to set week starting day to Monday. It starts on Sunday if using en_US locale (which most people use I guess). So, week starting day is taken from locale and of course there are multiple ways to fix that.

The first method I've used was to manually edit locale file and then re-generate the locales by locale-gen. This is ugly solution but it works.

Then, I figured out that you can edit /etc/default/locales to set different locales for, say, LANG and LC_TIME. But this is still a system-wide change, and I wanted something configured per-user.

And here it is:

$ cat ~/.gnomerc
export LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
export LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
export LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"


For headless machines, ~/.bashrc can be used instead of ~/.gnomerc. KDE folks can try ~/.kderc.

Thanks to Kozz.

No comments: